Best I found (didn’t do extensive research) was here:  http://www.onlywebpro.com/2013/05/18/create-facebook-app-style-slide-out-na/

Then left to normal Bootstrap or jquery tricks to provide the menu open for all larger devices.

Turns out that returning void from (asp.net mvc) server function, but jquery ajax call data type was set to json – so when receiving no data back – the ajax function returns to the error function.

So the example below would always alert “error” as the server controller action return was void

$.ajax({type: “POST”,url: “/MyController/MyAction/”,data: [postData], success: function (data) { alert(“success”); }, error: function () { alert(“error”); } });

…using these guidelines


I used these instructions to root my phone and install the custom room and can vouch for that everything there works perfectly – sooooo happy with my “new” Samsung

Visual Studio mess created by Azure installation stuff


Changing the filename and applying the hotfix fixed my VS 2010 publishing

Dealing with the Java Play framework for the first time – I followed the instructions here:

http://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.0/ScalaDatabase  (and in a number of other Stackoverflow posts and various blogs)  

All failed to mention (or I somehow failed to read) that one has to “reload” the solution in the console after adding the database reference for the application to load the jdbc driver into the application.  Probably too obvious for regular users – but too a couple of hours for a newbe like me to figure out 🙂

My IIS 7 service pool was randomly stopping – leaving lots of applications hanging in thin air. Finally I stumbled up on this post


.. where the reply mentions “application pool is crashing more than 5 times in 5 minutes ” … (Rapid Fail Protection – RFP) which I have never heard of before. By comparing service logs and event logs I found a badly programmed service application method which was throwing an Exception where an Exception should not be used. Hitting that method more than 5 times in 5 minutes caused a crash in the service :Þ … saved my day to find the logic behind this misterious behaviour.

You can change the RFP settings – highlight apppool in Inetmgr.exe, select advanced settings task, change Failure Interval and Maximum Failures settings.

Bundling my PhoneGap app for IOS – I had a strange authentication problem. Using forms authentication on my asp.net mvc backend, the login form always came back with the Request.IsAuthenticated = false – that is, only on the IPhone (not even on iPad), the login request did not return the authentication headers neede to log into the application …

My biggest luck tonight was to find this post !!!


Adding timeout and cookieless properties into the forms element solved the issue … the post explains why

Thank you “austin.fathe…@gmail.com” !!!